, 1862


There is scarcely any depth of dishonor and perfidy to which the men in power at Washington, and their supporters, are not willing to resort to obtain any advantage, however slight, over the Confederacy.

In the late naval battle in Hampton Roads, after the Federal ship Congress was surrendered, and while the white flag was flying, the humane men of the South, who were transferring the prisoners from the wrecked ship, were fired upon by the Federals, and precious lives wantonly and treacherously sacrificed. The fact is not even disguised in the Northern journals. They mention it as a feat to be applauded—as that was which occurred on the banks of the Mississippi, near New Madrid, a few days ago, when their soldiers disguised themselves as women, and made signs of distress, in order to draw the Confederates within reach of a party of concealed men, who opened a deadly fire, as the reward of the efforts to be humane. The military leaders have not a word of censure for such acts, and the populace applauds them, as if faith, mercy and humanity were expunged out of the hearts of the whole people.

The message of President Davis, on the subject of the exchange of prisoners, proves the Government at Washington to be the fit representative of the baseness of the people.

An arrangement was made at Fortress Monroe, between Gen. Wool, for the Federals, and Gen. Cobb, for the Confederates, by which a full system of exchange was established, and the rate and terms definitely stated. Among the stipulations was one, that the captured privateersmen of the Confederate Navy, should be placed on the footing of prisoners of war, and exchanged as such.

In preparation for this, and evidently, as it now appears, with a purpose to deceive the Confederate Government, Mr. Seward, as Secretary of State, issued an order which was ostentatiously published, with the commentary he desired, for the transfer of the privateer prisoners from the criminal jails to the military prisons of State. It was commented upon, very generally, as an official act, abandoning the ground that captured sailors are to be distinguished from captured soldiers, and held to punishment as pirates; and some of the Northern journals, really believing in the sincerity of the Government, commended it as a just and honorable step. But there were some in the South who thought they knew Seward better, and believed that he had prepared a way, by the wording of his order, to deny this obligation. The same circular which directed the Southern privateersmen to be transferred to the prisons for prisoners of State, contained a short line, including within the order a prisoner under conviction for piracy, under the laws of the United States against the slave trade. On that singular clause, they who believed Mr. Seward entirely faithless, and knew how shamelessly he broke his publicly pledged word, early in these troubles, suspected that his order was designed to be a mere trap to induce the South to trust that these prisoners would be fairly exchanged; and, when he should have obtained possession of the  Federals held as hostages for them, that he meant to disavow the interpretation, and hold on to the victims.

Subsequent events have proved that they who suspected him of designing a base fraud were right. The government of which he is the special mouthpiece, has seized upon the profits of his fraud, and secured them, by adding another in the public breach of the solemn engagement of their own agents, to carry into effect the principle of exchange, which that order seemed to favor. Gen. Wool, at Fortress Monroe, on behalf of the Federal Government, distinctly informed Gen. Cobb, acting for the Confederates, that he was fully authorized to settle a system of equal exchanges, including seamen as soldiers, and the future release of all prisoners taken in battle, on their parole.

The arrangement was made accordingly, and the Confederates proceeded to fulfill their parts of the contract, discharging an excess of three hundred prisoners over the number which was held by the enemy, and sending forward among them several of the hostages whom they had selected as security for the safety of the privateersmen.

President Davis now announces that the Federalists have received such prisoners as were discharged under the agreement, but refuse to liberate the privateersmen or to parole the Fort Donelson prisoners lately captured. In other words, they have added to the despicable trick proclaimed by Mr. Seward, a piece of brazen perfidy perpetrated through Gen. Wool. . .


The City, the Weather, &c.—Our city is now a camp, up town and down town. The Home Guards are bestowed conveniently for use at a minute’s warning. Lafayette and Annunciation Squares, and the quarters of the Orleans Guards, are occupied as camps, and are under strict military discipline. Every day they come out for battalion drill, and evince a high state of discipline and efficiency.

The city is under martial law, which, however, does not seem to work oppressively in any degree. The Provost Marshals have been constantly occupied in carrying into execution that judicious order of Gen. Lovell, which requires a full registry of all citizens, in order that it may be ascertained, beyond all question, “who is who.” In the wisdom and utility of this, as of the other orders issued by the military authority, there appears to be not only a general but a cheerful acquiescence on the part of our people.

We have had a whole week of delicious spring weather. Not a cloud, not a cold blast of wind, not a drop of rain, has been there to interrupt the reign of constant sunshine and balmy airs. The thousands of flowers, with their myriad colors and profusion of scents, the blossoming and bearing fruit trees, the springing grass and sprouting harvests, make our garden districts and our rural environs, never more delightfully attractive than they are at present.

Notwithstanding we have sent away to the fields of battle so many of our people, the city is by no means desolate, but bears very much the same appearance as usual at this season of the year. We shall probably have but little emigration hence to favorite watering places, this season, and the number of “can’t-get-aways,” who usually summer here, will be very considerably increased. And so it should be. We have home interests to guard, this year, which have never before devolved upon our care. And prominent among these are the families of those noble spirits who have gone to fight our battles for us, leaving all they hold dear a sacred trust to our protection.

, 1862

Florida Abandoned by the Rebels!

New York, March. 30.—The steamer Empire Lake has arrived from Port Royal. The New South of the 22d inst. (published there) says that Gen. Sherman visited Jacksonville on the 19th and was waited on by a committee of citizens who represented that the feelings of all the town are strongly Union. Many of the inhabitants left Jacksonville with the rebels, who threatened to hang all who remained. Bands of rebel “Regulators,” or guerillas, were pillaging and destroying all the property of suspected Unionists, under orders from the rebel general Trapier. At Jacksonville, the night before the Union troops arrived, these regulators burned a large foundry, several saw-mills, 5,000,000 feet of lumber, a large hotel, and dry goods warehouse, supposed to belong to Union men, and threatened to destroy the entire city, but, gunboats making their appearance, they postponed their threats. Many are returning to Jacksonville, among whom are rebel deserters, anxious to take the oath of allegiance, and who state that desertion will be numerous. The sentiments of Eastern Florida are declared to be loyal, an don one occasion, when the “Regulators” were reported as coming, even the women seized arms. The National troops are treated to every hospitality the town affords, and the people state they will go with the gunboats if they leave, but measures have been taken to fully protect them. The gunboat Ottawa has been 120 miles up St. John’s river beyond Jacksonville, meeting no opposition. White flags were displayed by the inhabitants who claimed protection.

Pensacola has been evacuated, including also Forts Barrancas and McRae, and the rebels announce an entire abandonment of Florida. Troops raised in Florida had been ordered off, but refused to go.

Gen. Sherman has issued a proclamation to the people of East Florida, in which he states U.S. troops came to protect loyal citizens and their property, and enable them to reinstate a government. He expresses great satisfaction at the evidences of loyalty, and recommends that citizens assemble in their cities, towns and precincts, and throw off the sham government thrust upon them and swear allegiance to the U.S. government, organize a government and elect officers in the good old ways of the past. When this is done, we predict returning prosperity and happy times.

At a meeting of the loyal citizens of Jacksonville, on the 20th, a declaration of rights, a protest, and resolutions were unanimously adopted. They deny the right of any State to secede, and assert that the act of secession in Florida was passed illegally, without the people being permitted to vote upon it, and they believe thousands will hail with joy the prospect of being relieved from the terrors of unrestrained military despotism. They protest against all the acts of the convention; against the despotism which has denied them the freedom of the press and of speech; against contributions of money, property, and labor, and military enlistments forced upon them; against tyranny which demands the abandonment of homes and property; against the barbarous policy which sends brutal soldiery to pillage and burn property and destroy life as a punishment for remaining at their homes; against the governor who threatens to hang them because they will not tamely submit.

Having been released from such dangers and indignities, and restored to the Government of the United States and the reign of terror having passed, it becomes them as loyal citizens to raise up a State government, and they recommend that a convention of all the loyal citizens be called forthwith to organize a State government of the State of Florida; also that the chief of the military department of the U.S. be requested to retain sufficient force to maintain order and  protect the people and property.


Yancey Not Captured!

New York, March 30.—The gunboat Huntsville arrived to-night from Key West, the 25th.

Advices from the Mississippi Passes state that heavy firing was heard from the head of the Passes where some of our gunboats had gone. The remainder of Porter’s fleet had all left Key West, together with several of our gunboats. An attack on New Orleans was momentarily expected.

An expedition from Key West against Apalachicola was in contemplation. Considerable cotton has been stored there, defended by 30 guns and 3000 rebels.

The steamer Cuyler from Havana reports quite a number of rebel vessels there. A French man-of-war from Vera Cruz had 27 cases of yellow fever on board. The health of the troops at Key West was good. The small pox has broken out in the New Hampshire regiment at Tortugas.

Two of the crew captured on the Magnolia report that great preparations at New Orleans are made to resist attack. Several gunboats are building and martial law will soon be proclaimed.

There is no truth in the reported capture of Yancey. He engaged a passage on the Mallory, which was captured, but changed his mind, and was to sail from Havana on the schooner Break O’Day.

The Huntsville has 200 bales of cotton and 237 bales of tobacco captured from the rebels. All her officers and crew are well.


Fortress Monroe, March 29.—All quiet. There is no Merrimac demonstration yet. The steamer Suwannee has arrived from Newbern. All is quiet there. Gen. Burnside has gone to Beaufort and taken quiet possession of the place. There was no resistance whatever. There was no burning of property. Port Macon is still occupied by the rebels, 300 to 500 strong, but they were entirely cut off, and must soon surrender.

Baltimore, March 30.--The rebels burnt the bridge on the railroad between Newbern and Beaufort, but it was in progress of repair and the road would soon be in operation between the two places.  There was no destruction of property at Beaufort. A large portion of the citizens remained quietly in their homes on the approach of the Federal forces. The rebel soldiers in the vicinity shut themselves up in Fort Macon, but its supply of provisions would not permit it to hold out over a week. Gen. Burnside was at Beaufort.

Perfect quiet reigned at Newbern. A number of citizens had returned to the place. The rebels were supposed to be in strong force at Kingston, 35 miles on the road to Goldsborough. The expedition to Washington was successful, the Stars and Stripes being nailed to the court-house.

1, 1862

Blockade of Charleston.

The Port Royal correspondent of the New York Tribune writes the following account of a series of evasions of the blockade at Charleston:

“The English iron steamer Commerce, nineteen days from Liverpool, arrived at Charleston, March 10, having run in by Rattlesnake Shoal, and so through Maffit’s Channel, to the Harbor. It is to be remembered that this is the point at or near which the second stone fleet was sunk, in order to prevent vessels from availing themselves of the passage between the shoal and Long Island, where it was hazardous for blockading vessels to be, both on account of the shoal and the batteries on shore. The Commerce brought a cargo of woolens, shoes, arms, and ammunition, and is now loading in Charleston with cotton, and expecting to run the blockade and return to England.

“The Cahawba arrived three weeks since, and is now loading with cotton, hoping to do the same thing. The ship Mackinaw is also in port, loading with cotton and bound for an English port. One brig and two or three schooners, destination unknown, are taking in the same cargo. On the 23d inst., the steamer Caroline ran in about 11 o’clock at night from Nassau, with an assorted cargo. The pilot-boat Chase arrived on the same day from the same place, loaded with salt. The Cecil and the Ella Warley are daily expected, also from Nassau—the Ella being the old Isabel, and having run in and out within two months, escaping the squadron when she last entered by help of a fog, but getting a shot in her stern from the Mohican.

“It need not be supposed, however, that the blockade of Charleston is entirely ineffective. The number of vessels that have succeeded in getting in is  no evidence of the great difficulties in the way of making it perfect. The Florida, James Adger, Sumter, Flambeau, and Onward are the present blockading squadron—the Flambeau being here only for needed repairs, and to return in a day or two. No vessels of any draft enter the main ship channel, where the first stone fleet was successfully sunk and is still an effectual barricade. But the skill and ingenuity of the Charleston pilots are very great. Whenever a vessel is running out, small boats precede her with lights along Maffit’s channel; while for vessels from the outside signals are arranged, or they have pilots on board whose knowledge, aided by darkness and fog, enables them to baffle the vigilance of the blockading squadron. Nor is any blockade often—perhaps never—so effectual that no vessel eludes it.”


Capt. Ericsson, in a private letter to a Senator, says, “We can yet form no correct estimate of the destructive power of the Monitor. You are aware that the vessel possesses an excess of buoyancy of 120,000 pounds, and is therefore capable of sustaining a turret thicker than the present one, with guns carrying quadruple weight of shot to those employed against the Merrimac. Nor can I omit to call your attention to the very light draught of water of the Monitor. Let us be cautious how we place vessels drawing twenty feet of water to defend our great cities.”


A special train was run through from Baltimore to Wheeling yesterday, the last rail of repairs having been laid. Water was let into the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal on Saturday in its whole length. Navigation will be immediately resumed.

The Southern Retreat.—The London Daily News thinks that a retreat of the rebels into the cotton States will end all resistance in the field, though there will remain some questions of vast importance to be settled. The retreat, in the opinion of the News, would cut off the southern army from any sort of supply and force it to disband before the middle of summer:

“The chances of guerilla warfare afterwards, no one who knows the Cotton States well will consider very strong. Guerilla bands are not the sort of defenders which large planters are likely to look upon with a very favorable eye, as they would not only demoralize the Negroes, but open up boundless facilities to brigands or abolitionists to ‘run them off’ or plunder the plantations, which in Mississippi and Alabama and Georgia and South Carolina stand far apart. Guerilla warfare has never been a favorite resort of aristocracies, and it is a species of warfare which Southerners have not tenacity nor perseverance enough to carry on with success. They tried it in Kansas, but most of the adventurers who were called together from the Slave States by the troubles there in 1856 grew tired of it, and went home long before the free soil party had begun to resist them with success.”


A cannon twelve feet long, three feet and seven inches in diameter at the butt, and weighing twelve tons, came down the Hartford Railroad on Friday, en route for New York. It carries a twelve inch ball.


The whole of the trouble in which Gen. Grant has been involved here is attributed by friends to Gen. Buell; but the orders in the case all came from Gen. Halleck alone. Going to Nashville without leave, neglect of the captured property at Fort Donelson, and the like are given here as the charges against Gen. Grant. It is stated also that charges of drunkenness were preferred against hi at Cairo by Capt. Konnix.


Fairfax Seminary, quite recently the headquarters of General McClellan, is ordered to be vacated and surrendered to the trustees for restoration to its original purpose of theological instruction. It is a very large institution, on a commanding site, about two miles west of Alexandria. It was founded by the late Bishop Meade. The order for the surrender of the property was given by General McClellan on the request of Cassius Lee, a trustee of the neighborhood.


The New Orleans Crescent thinks that, “The remarks freely made about burning the city are entirely out of place. We should like to know what are to become of the tens of thousands of women and children in such an event. Fortunately, these remarks come from those who have nothing at stake, not owners of property; or, perhaps, they have removed their families into the interior, and got all their securities in their breeches pockets, and will advance into the country on the first appearance of the invaders. There are a good many of these kind of people about our city.”

2, 1862

The New Orleans Expedition.—The Fortress Monroe correspondent of the Baltimore American sends to that paper the following information, gathered from officers of the steamer Constitution, which left Ship Island on the 16th instant:

Commodore David D. Porter’s mortar fleet, with the Harriet Lane as the flag-ship, left Ship Island on the 14th inst., and was to be followed in a few days by Commodore Farragut’s fleet of sloops-of-war and gunboats. Their destination was understood to be the Southwest Pass, from which they were to open fire on Forts Jackson and Philip, which guard the passages to New Orleans. The departure of this immense fleet is reported to have been a grand sight, stretching in line for many miles along the ocean as far as the eye could reach. Commodore Farragut’s fleet consists of the sloop-of-war Hartford, his flag-ship, the Pensacola, the Brooklyn, and the gunboats Pinola, Sciota, Itasca, and other small scale war steamers, said to number 23 in all.

It is presumed by the officers on board the Constitution that the work of reducing Forts Jackson and Philip commenced some days since. It was supposed that some of the mortar boats would take position in an inlet in the rear of Fort Jackson, whilst the others would advance up the Southwest Pass within shelling distance, and endeavor to drive the forces out of the forts. In the meantime the gunboats would silence a battery erected about a mile below the forts for the protection of a barricade in the river, intended to prevent the passage of Commodore Farragut’s fleet up in front of the forts. This barricade was said to be composed of logs chained together, and fastened to the shores by heavy chains. It was fixed so as to be open to allow the passage of rebel vessels at pleasure.

When this barricade shall be removed and the channel of the river opened to the entire fleet, a sharp and decisive contest may be anticipated. If the forts should continue impervious to the bombs of the mortar fleet, those who are acquainted with the character and energy of Commodore Farragut anticipate that he will lead his whole fleet directly under their guns, and by repeated broadsides of grape and shrapnel, endeavor to drive the gunners from their posts. We may therefore expect exciting news from New Orleans in a few days.


The Tennessee River Expedition.—The correspondent of the Cincinnati Gazette accompanying Gen. Grant’s great expedition up the Tennessee river, furnishes an interesting account of the arrival of the expedition at Savannah, Tenn., and its subsequent movements to the 15th inst. He says:

The greater part of the Tennessee river expedition arrived at Savannah, Hardin County, Tenn., on the evening and during the night of the 11th inst. As the sun rose over the cane breaks that line the river banks, it disclosed such a  scene as neither that nor indeed any river on the continent ever witnessed before. For nearly two miles up and down the stream lay the fleet. More vessels were constantly arriving, the channel was filled with them, gliding about in search of landings near their respective brigade headquarters, and the air was heavy with the murky smoke from hundreds of puffing chimneys.

Half a dozen regiments were brought out on dress parade, and the delighted inhabitants of the pleasant little country town of Savannah crowded into the streets or peeped out behind the curtains of second-story windows to see the unwonted sight, and convince their halting faith that, beyond peradventure, the Yankees were there at least to defend them in their ill-concealed preference for the Union cause.

The expedition had indeed reached the sunny South. We were seventeen miles from the Mississippi line, and only twenty-five or thirty from the northwest corner of Alabama, precisely as far south as the northern line of South Carolina, and farther down than any of our armies, excepting the small ones that have gone around by the sea coast expeditions.

There was evidence through the day that the practical Union sentiment along the Tennessee was not wholly a myth. Some 150 citizens of the town and county volunteered for the war to fill up the Donelson-thinned ranks of the Illinois regiments that were the first to disembark. . .

This expedition will probably encounter the rebel force under Beauregard and Polk, said to be concentrating at Corinth, Miss. This is a small village near the northeast corner of the State, usually called Farmington on the maps. It is at the junction of the Mobile and Ohio with the Memphis and Charleston Railroads, and therefore it is a point of importance. Some accounts state the rebel forces in that vicinity as high as 70,000. . .

The telegraph reports that Gen. Buell has taken command of this expedition, and marched to within 15 miles of Corinth. If this be so, a terrible battle must very soon take place.


Frauds of Army Contractors.—An interesting correspondence between General Halleck and Quartermaster General Meigs is published, in which the former remonstrates in most energetic terms against the quality of the shoes and clothing furnished to the army of the West. General Halleck states that the shoes issued to the troops on the march wear out in four days, the space between the inner and outer soles being filled with pieces of old plate iron, which cut the stitches. The cloth sent to the army for making clothing is also of such inferior quality as to be nearly worthless for service. The General very justly says that it is an outrage on the troops to issue such shoes and clothing at all, and a still greater one that they should be charged at full price. He tells the Government in plain terms that the fault lies in the appointment of incompetent and dishonest agents in the Quartermaster General’s department, and demands that the workshops in St. Louis shall be re-opened for the supply of proper shoes and clothing to the army.

The Clothing Inspection Board at Washington already figure up nearly two million dollars in clothing on hand which is utterly worthless, and has been condemned. Most all this clothing was manufactured or furnished by contractors in Philadelphia; and the army officer who made the contracts, together with the inspectors, has been summoned by the Board, to give information that shall lead the swindling contractors to justice and a disgorgement of government money. It is also said that this is only one of many frightful swindles perpetrated on the Government by Philadelphia contractors.

APRIL 3, 1862



The Charter Oak, of about 180 tons burden, sailed from Salem on the 27th of January last, touching at Boston, bound for Fortress Monroe, laden with oats; and was ordered from thence to Newport News, where she discharged her cargo. Upon arrival at the latter place we were ordered by Captain Butler, of Essex, our commander, a thorough-bred seaman, to go for wood and coal, as our supply had become exhausted. Through the influence of Sergeant Hodgkins, of Company B, Massachusetts 29th, we were furnished by Gen. Mansfield with a team drawn by mules, together with the requisite ammunition, and an order to pass outside the pickets to procure fuel for our vessel. Having obtained a full supply, we returned at night, about 10 o’clock, unmolested by the rebels, and delivered up our arms and equipments which the General so kindly provided us.

The Merrimack, Yorktown, and Jamestown were at anchor under Craney Island when we arrived on board our vessel, which was 11 o’clock. The Congress was burning—caused by the bursting shells from the three rebel craft. The flames raged furiously and the comparison was beyond description. As our good man-of-war was crimping under the devouring element, each gun (as all were loaded) as its fuse became ignited, thundered its farewell peal, throwing its shell at random, and taking effect wherever it might strike. We lay at anchor about two hundred yards from the Congress, unharmed; but a Baltimore vessel, which lay about eight feet from us, was struck with a ball from the Congress, which caused her instantly to fill and sink.

The engagement with the Merrimack took place March 8th, at 2 o’clock, P.M., at which time we were lying about thirty yards from the Cumberland. The Merrimack was expected, and the fleet were on guard for her. The Congress fired the first gun, and was followed by the Cumberland. The Merrimack passed by the Congress, giving her a broadside, thence to the Cumberland, and, when within a short distance, fired her bow gun, gave her a broadside, and then struck her with her plough cutwater below the forechain port bow, causing her to fill and sink gradually. The Captain of the Cumberland was, at the time of the engagement, called on duties at Fortress Monroe, and the Lieut. in command acted bravely and heroically, and is deserving great praise. While in contact with the rebel, an officer on board the Merrimack saluted the Lieut. commanding as follows: “Will you surrender now?” “No, never!” was the reply. A marine on board the Cumberland quickly placed his musket to his shoulder, taking deliberate aim, fired and launched that rebel officer into eternity. Boats were busy securing the crews of the Cumberland and Congress. The next morning, about 8 o’clock, the Monitor hove in sight, and the consternation which seemingly prevailed somewhat subsided. The Monitor immediately engaged with the Merrimack and prevented her further destruction of our fleet. The Monitor, although a smaller antagonist, played handsomely with her new acquaintance, and protected our fleet from the rebellious demagogues. The Cumberland sank in ten fathoms of water. Her colors were flying when we left, 16th March, and her top gallant masts and yards were above the water. We took in ballast at Fortress Monroe for Philadelphia, where we loaded with coal for Boston, arriving on the 29th of this month—having passed through rather more than was expected on our departure, as we were not prepared, having no protection on board.


The Andrews Sharpshooters, Capt. Saunders have joined Gen. McDowell’s army corps, much to the regret of Gen. Shields, with whom they promised to become as great favorites as they were with Gen. Lander. Capt. Saunders, with his own and two other companies, led the advance in the skirmish at Winchester, following the rebels, the first day, (Saturday,) about eighteen miles. The Sharpshooters came back about three miles, and the next morning started with two more companies. Capt. Saunders had a narrow escape, being fired upon, on Sunday, by the Union artillery, who mistook him for the rebel Colonel, both being mounted on horses of the same color.

Frequent applications are made to the War Department for a change of position from the Volunteer to the Regular service. The Secretary of War has established a rule that no transfer of this kind will be made during the war, but all must seek promotion in their own branch of the service.

The Indianapolis Journal says the mortality among the rebel prisoners in that city does not abate. Thirty-two died last week, an since the arrival of prisoners one hundred and ten have died, being a larger number than at Chicago, where there are more than two thousand more prisoners.

The Expedition which took Big Bethel, Va., was under the command of Gen. Fitz John Porter, in whose division are the Massachusetts 9th and 22d, and Wentworth’s Sharpshooters, recently in the army of the Potomac. The Sharpshooters, including some of Berdan’s, were in the advance. The correspondent of the New York Evening Post, writing from the camp near Little Bethel, says a stout resistance was expected from the rebels at Great Bethel. A reconnoissance  was first made by a strong detachment of cavalry, infantry, artillery, and sharpshooters. The rebels fled precipitately at its approach, and abandoned works which are thus described:

“The fortifications erected by the enemy were five in number. Three of them were breastworks, each a few rods in length and mounting one gun. Two others were of greater dimensions, and mounted six guns each. The guns were all erected on the left side of the main road, and were flanked on the right by a grove. In front there is a broad space, sloping to the river, fully commanded by the guns of the works. The place was thoroughly defensible, and had the rebels made a stand, we should have had no little difficulty in dislodging them.

“A search of the houses in the village resulted in one curious discovery. Our soldiers entered a small cottage, and were assured that ‘a sick woman’ lay in a chamber; but, having reason to suspect a trick, they explored the premises, and discovered a rebel soldier snugly hidden between the sheets with his boots on, although covered with mud and water.”

4, 1862


Philadelphia, March 29.—Jackson’s pyrotechnic factory, corner of Tenth and Reed streets, exploded this morning. Four or five were killed, including the son of Jackson; the head of one victim was blown nearly two squares. Fragments of humanity were scattered about, making a shocking sight. Ten or twelve others, boys and girls, were seriously injured. Jackson had a government contract for filling cartridges, and employed fifty girls and twenty-four men. The heads of three persons and a number of arms and other fragments of bodies were found.

Philadelphia, March 29.—Evening—The fate of many of the victims of the terrible disaster this morning is still unknown. Of the seventy-eight persons employed in the building, only sixty-one have thus far been accounted for, including four known to be killed. One of the men missing is supposed to have been blown to atoms. Of the forty or fifty wounded at the hospitals and at their residences, it is feared that a considerable number will not recover.


A Suggestion Worth Thinking On.—In a recent letter on the emancipation question, the veteran Amos Kendall sums up the whole controversy briefly and forcibly, a follows:

“I appeal to the advocates of emancipation in the North to be content with the progress which their principles are making, not through the subversion of the Constitution, but under cover of its authority. Probably four fifths of all the slaves in the United States are now lawfully subject to confiscation on account of the treason of their masters. How far the forfeiture of their slaves, their other property, or their lives shall be carried, is a question of expediency only, and involves no Constitutional question of power. Four fifths of all the slaves may be thus lawfully set free, and the emancipation of the other fifth would soon follow. In this view of the subject what motives have the abolitionists of the North to press their government into an abandonment of the Constitution, by making a general emancipation, instead of the preservation of that instrument, the direct object of the war, thus giving a color of right to the rebellion, and in a measure paralyzing the arms of loyal men, especially in the South?”


Island No. Ten.—A correspondent, with Comm. Foote’s flotilla, thus refers to the stout resistance made by the rebels at Island No. 10:

“The tenacity  with which they hold on here proves how valuable time is to them, and when  driven from here it will doubtless be seen that, while fighting at Island No. 10 they have been busy as beavers erecting stronger and more formidable fortifications at points lower down. Where these points are, we will only known when we get to them, and, perhaps, as in this instance, shall be surprised that such natural facilities for defence should be overlooked. The 1500 miles of river from St. Louis to the Gulf are very imperfectly unknown to our generals, and we are dealing with an enemy perfectly acquainted with every winding and headland.”


Perished in the Snow.—Mrs. Lucy Ann Hasty, daughter of Mr. Lyman Darling, perished in the recent severe snow storm at Island Falls, Aroostook county, Me., under the following circumstances. In returning from a visit to her sister on the 16th inst., after the storm had commenced, she took a short cut through the woods, got bewildered, lost her way, and perished. She had arrived within half a mile of her home when she lost her way. She was not missed until the 19th, four days afterward, when her brother found her carpet-bag in his shingle camp in a cedar swamp.1 The neighbors immediately turned out in search, and finally found her dead, and in a standing position. The unfortunate lady had divested herself of a great part of her clothing as it impeded her progress through the snow. Mrs. Hasty was of an amiable disposition, and much esteemed by her friends. Her age was 23 years.

Novel Payment of a Bet.—A letter from an officer of a Massachusetts regiment, now in Virginia, relates the following facts concerning the payment of a wager under singular circumstances. When the national forces were compelled to leave Centreville last summer, Mr. S., the representative of the N.Y. World, made a wager of a good dinner with Dr. G., of Centreville, that the Union troops would return to that place in less than a year. When our forces reached that town, last week, Mr. S. was among them, and called at the house of his friend, the Doctor, where he found a note addressed to him, stating that he would find the dinner prepared, with four servants to wait upon him. Surrendered, the table was spread with roast turkey, sweet potatoes, and the luxuries of the season, and four Negroes guarding it to prevent any persons participating but the person intended. The black left to guard the feast said, “Massa gone into the country, but gave a special order that no one else should eat but you who had won the bet of him!”



U.S. Barque Gemsbok,
Blockading Beaufort, N.C., Mch. 20, 1862.

Dear Gazette: Thinking your readers might like to hear, through your valued columns, something of the blockade, I take the present opportunity of giving you a  sketch of the escape of the rebel steamer Nashville, from this place, which she accomplished notwithstanding the strenuous endeavors of our noble barque to prevent her. The facts of the case are as follows. On the night of the 17th of March, between the hours of seven and eight, during the prevalence of a dead calm, a dark object was descried by us, moving slowly but surely out of the harbor, directly under the guns of the fort. Word was quickly passed that the Nashville was trying to run the blockade. We were immediately called to quarters, decks cleared for action, and our vessel swung broadside to the channel. But a few seconds had elapsed, when the booming of our guns told them they were discovered. When first seen she was heading directly for us, but our shot soon changed her course and she steamed rapidly away to the southward. We continued firing as fast as our guns could be loaded, and I assure you we were not long loading them. Presently from her side a light was seen to flash out upon the darkness, and others flying about on her deck gave us the cheering intelligence that our shots had been fired to good effect. These were however quickly extinguished, and we being in irons as it were, without wind to work our vessel, and the Nashville being a fast steamer, she was soon out of range of our heaviest metal, and our firing ceased. We gave her about twenty shots, and if not considerably damaged, she may thank the darkness of the night, for we tried our utmost to cripple her. When the moon arose, and dispelled the darkness which had before lain like a shroud upon the scene, the Nashville was far out of sight, and may be ere this in some distant port refitting for another tour of destruction among our small vessels, which are constantly plying up and down our coast, carrying supplies to our fleets. I think if we had had a steamer, the Nashville would have had a far different story to tell the next morning, for one of two things is certain, she would either have destroyed us or we should have destroyed her, one of the two, and I think we should have fought hard, for our boys say they will never strike our starry flag, but if need be, will go down as did the Cumberland, with glorious emblem of freedom flying over them.

APRIL 5, 1862

Congress: Abolishment of Slavery in the District of Columbia.—In the Senate on Thursday a vote was taken on the bill to abolish slavery in the District of Columbia, and it was passed by yeas and nays, as follows:

Yeas—Messrs. Anthony, Browning, Chandler, Clark, Collamer, Dixon, Doolittle, Fessenden, Foot, Foster, Grimes, Hale, Harlan, Harris, Howard, King, Lane of Indiana, Lane of Kansas, Morrill, Pomeroy, Sherman, Sumner, Ten Eyck, Trumbull, Wade, Wilmot, and Wilson of Massachusetts—29.

Nays—Messrs. Bayard, Carlisle, Davis, Henderson, Kennedy, Latham, McDougall, Nesmith, Powell, Saulsbury, Willey, Wilson of Missouri, and Wright—14.

Applause in the galleries followed the declaration of the vote. Before the yeas and nays were called, an amendment was adopted, on motion of Mr. Sumner, providing that testimony before the commissioner should not be excluded on account of the color of the witness. Mr. Browning moved to amend so that the average price be $500, one-half to be retained by the secretary of the treasury, to be paid to the person liberated if he emigrates to another country—rejected 31 to 10. Another proposition for gradual emancipation and compensation and submission of the question to the people of the district was negatived, 10 to 25; but an amendment appropriating $100,000 in aid of voluntary emigration was agreed to, 27 to 10. The bill was introduced by Senator Wilson on the 16th of December, and reported by the committee on the district in the latter part of February. Since then it has undergone some changes beside those indicated above, but its essential principles, as originally reported, are retained. We hail the measure as it stands as an encouraging advance in the right direction, and have little doubt of the concurrence of the house of representatives and the executive approval. It marks an epoch in our history, and will have a wide-spread moral effect in our favor among all civilized nations. The appropriation for  voluntary emancipation appears objectionable both on the score of the principle and policy, but, since the persons to be invested with rights are, after all, to [be] left to their own choice as to their place of abode, the measure may be regarded as tolerable, certainly so as an alternative between perpetual bondage and the present scheme of emancipation. The proffer of aid may r may not apply to the eleven thousand persons of color in the district already free. If it is to be available only to those made free under the operation of the law, it would be of little account, except as an important precedent, to have force in future legislation in aid of states which may initiate emancipation. There is ample room in the District of Columbia for its hundred thousand people, of whatever complexion, and we can hardly regard it as sound statesmanship in any government to encourage the emigration of its effective laborers from the soil. Besides this, it is not easy to find any constitutional warrant for projects of colonization. It may or may not be a philanthropic measure, so far as individuals may be affected, but our government does not profess to act upon the theory of a benevolent society. It would, it seems to us, be a decided improvement of the senate’s bill, should the house strike out the Doolittle provision for emigrant aid. It is incongruous, out of place, and unwise.

More Emancipation.—A project of emancipation has been adopted for the Dutch Islands in the West Indies. The following extract from the Surinam Weehbland, of Feb. 15th, indicates the chief features of the plan which has been adopted:

The slave question in the Dutch West India colonies has been settled. All slaves in these colonies will be set free on the 1st of July, 1863, under the following conditions: 1. Compensation of three hundred guilders for each slave—man, woman or child—to be paid to the owner. 2. Slaves to remain under apprenticeship on the states for a term of three years, during which time they are to be paid wages for their work, half of said wages to accrue to the government.


From Burnside’s Expedition.—The New York Times has a letter from the Burnside expedition, which says:

On Sunday, the 23d, our forces having marched down from Newbern, entered Morehead City, near Beaufort, and found it evacuated.

A flag of truce was then sent over to Fort Macon and its surrender was demanded, which was refused, and vigorous measures were at once commenced to reduce the place by siege.

Gen. Burnside left Newbern on the 24th to superintend operations, and the bombardment was expected to commence soon.


From Island No. 10.—The navy department has a dispatch from Com. Foote dated 2d inst., describing a brave exploit as follows:

Last night an armed boat expedition was fitted out from the squadron and land forces at this point, under command of Col. Roberts of the 42d Illinois.

The five boats comprising the expedition were in charge of 1st Master J.V. Johnson of the St. Louis, Master G.P. Lord of the Benton, 4th Master Pierce of the Cincinnati, 4th Master Morgan of the Pittsburg, and Master’s Mate Seammill of the Mound City, each with a crew of ten men from their respective vessels, carrying in all 100 men exclusive of officers, under the command of Col. Roberts.

At midnight they reached the upper or No. 10 fort, and pulling directly on its face,2 carried it, receiving only the harmless fire of two sentinels, who ran on firing their muskets, while the rebel troops in the vicinity rapidly retreated, whereupon Col. Roberts spiked the six guns mounted in the fort and returned with his boats unharmed.

The commanding officer represents all under his command, from their coolness and determination, as ready to perform more hazardous service, had it been required to the fulfillment of the object of the expedition.


Lottery Swindle.—The Montpelier (Vt.) Watchman exposes a lottery swindle by publishing a circular purporting have come from “Hancock & Co.” of Wilmington, Delaware. The circular makes large promises in the way of prizes, and holds out lures to cheat the unwary, much in the same style of the humbug lately ventilated in this neighborhood. Delaware as well as Massachusetts lotteries are prohibited by statute, and it is strange that people in any part of New England should need to be cautioned against such impositions.

1 Shingles were cut from lengths of cedar logs using a tool called a froe, which was struck with a  wooden mallet, thus driving the blade of the froe into the log as a wedge and splitting off a shingle.

2 The phrase “pulling directly on its face” does not mean they were trying to tear it down, but rather that the sailors in the boats were pulling for, (i.e., rowing,) the face of the fort.

  Having trouble with a word or phrase? Email the transcriptionist.